140 years ago, the Swedish settlers who chose Marine Mills as their home started a church with the mission belief “...to at last come here to unite ourselves in God’s name.”
In 1872, eighty-one people gathered to begin a church congregation for themselves and the generations that followed. They built a church, paying $540 for lumber and $348.12 for labor. The site they chose sat on top of a hill, overlooking the St. Croix River and its Valley, so the community could follow the light from the steeple tower.
The church mission written in Swedish translates into the needs of today’s generation…“As most of us have considered that such a step is necessary for the welfare of Christ’s kingdom and our own souls’ welfare…”
Today the light of the steeple tower continues to shine. Old and young worship together in a remodeled handicap-accessible facility. Area organizations are encouraged to utilize Christ Lutheran’s expanded gathering spaces like the Nyman Center and Torgeson Hall, for meetings and to learn more about the warmth and fellowship enjoyed by church members.
Created in God’s image, we are called to celebrate our unity in Christ and live as his followers, with the light of Christ shining through us. We are the church, one church, Christ’s church—generation to generation—with the beacon of light brightening our world.